Diamagnetism

From: Pat Dixon (pdixon@magnet.fsu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 09:10:44 PDT

I was intrigued by your push me a grape snacksperiment. However, after a
trip to the store to buy two kinds of grapes and watermelon, the activity
did not work for me. In addition to your instructions, I also tried a
coffee stirrer AND hung the grape on a piece of thread. Nothing seems to
work and yet we levitate frogs here and the reason they levitate in a strong
magnetic field is the diamagnetic property of water! So…please let me know
where I went wrong. Grapefully, Pat Dixon.

Patricia J. Dixon, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Integrating Research & Learning
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
1800 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32310
850-644-4707