Re: Solution to the mystery of lactase drops? (fwd)

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 15:48:04 PDT

Hi, Deb/snacktalk folks --- please feel free to forward this to the writer.

Companies actually now make the lactase in pill form, rather than liquid
drops which must be refrigerated after opening. Pills are easy for people
to consume if they're having, for example, an ice cream or are at dinner
somplace, rather than treating their products (of which only liquid milk
can be treated with the drops).

The pills cannot be used for the activity, because they are designed to
work at the pH of the stomach (less than 2) If you acidified the milk in
this activity, it would curdle.

Lactase drops can be obtained thru many biological supply houses, and also
over the web through some Canadian companies, for example, at:
http://www.digestmilk.com/lacteeze.html

Enjoy!

---Karen

>Any ideas about this?