Re: Polarized sunglasses

From: Annette Gaudino (agaudino@sfsu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 22:09:45 PST

I brought them back to the optometrist and turns out one lens was
defective. The fixed lenses reduce glare significantly by blocking all
horizontal light rays. I highly recommend polarized sunglasses over a
regular pair. Just make sure the polarizing filter is vertically
oriented.

In addition, be sure to confirm that your lenses block 100% of UVA and
UVB rays. UV protection is clear, and has nothing to do with the color
or darkness of the lens. Polycarbonate lenses always come with this
feature, and you can add UV block to clear plastic lenses for a small
fee ($20 at LensCrafters, for example). UV rays have been implicated in
cataracts. Studies have also suggested that blue light rays contribute
to Macular Degeneration, a major cause of blindness in the elderly.
Yellow lenses block blue light.

You sure can learn alot by talking to your optometrist!