RE: curie point demo.

From: Frederick Wallace (
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 09:23:45 PST

I ran it 'red' for several minutes. I have since bought a 'cheap'
ceramic magnet that just barely holds on and it works but I still don't
understand why it shouldn't work for the Nd magnet. My only idea is that
the magnet kept the wire cooler than the Curie temp. (i.e.: heat doesn't
travel through Nd as fast as ceramic???). I even tried moving the Nd
magnet to the still glowing 'red' spot and it held. I drained two 6V
batteries 'playing with this. I guess I'll be satisfied with the ceramic
magnet demo. Would be interested in any ideas though - very puzzling.
BTW: I tried 'D' cells and nothing happened and then tried a 12V battery
and the wire melted (I had both 'D' cells and a 12V battery hanging
around) - you might want to put a warning or advice to use only 'new' 6V
batteries (doesn't work with used 6V batteries either).