text errors and mine shafts

From: Lou Morton (stf-lmorton@vom.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 06:37:58 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 06:37:58 -0700
From: Lou Morton <stf-lmorton@vom.com>
Subject: text errors and mine shafts

Paul et al,
My recollection, primarily from Hewitt, is that since the force of
gravity is roughly (M1*M2)/d^2, that as the distance between centers of
gravity of the two masses gets smaller, the denominator gets smaller
thus the force goes up. The reverse being true for climbing a tall
mountain as you are further from the earth's center.
(Paul were you your lightest on earth when in South America on that
mountain that is the highest point on earth from the center? I apologize

if that is too personal a question, ;-) )

I recall further from Hewitt that if one drilled a hole through the
earth and jumped into it you would oscillate back and forth between the
two earth's surfaces.

Or is it really "just more complicated then that?"

Lou M.