Re:St Elmos Fire

From: Daniel R DeFoe (defoes@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 06:20:31 PDT

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 06:20:31 -0700
Subject: Re:St Elmos Fire
From: Daniel R DeFoe <defoes@juno.com>

With the recent and spactacular lightning shows that we have been getting
I have been discussing" St Elmos Fire" with my classes. My son (pilot)
has witnessed this at approx 600 mph in a 747 cockpit. He tells me the
energy from the electrical storm gathers at the nose of the aircraft with
quite a display of small lightning bolts flickering across the
windscreen. If the electric charge grows more intense ,a ball of light
will sometimes enter the aircraft and pass through, exiting at the tail.
Evidently this is quite a "scary" site to passengers? So the questions:
Who is St Elmo? How did this phenom get the name? Anyone know? Dan