Re: Lightning strikes

From: SHin333@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 09:06:55 PDT

From: SHin333@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:06:55 EDT
Subject: Re: Lightning strikes

This is an interesting discussion because students always seem to ask these
difficult-to-answer questions...

It is also my understanding that a "step leader" must form from the ground
TOWARDS the cloud in order for the lightning to complete its path to the
ground. I have seen photographs that show step leaders lifting off of various
objects in a neighborhood. The "lucky" step leader (so to speak) is the one
that manages to connect with a downward lightning strike from the ground.

I think I saw this in a science video--any comments? Has anyone heard of this
phenomenon?

Sue "whereever you go, there you are" Hinojoza