Re: pinhole what IS glass

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 09:38:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:38:31 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re:  pinhole what IS glass

If I was building something, and a material had differences in thickness, I
would put the thicker regions on the bottom, in hopes of better supporting
the weight and stresses from regions above. Pyramids are an extreme
example of this. I bet the workers did this, given that their raw
materials were not of even dimensions; they may have thought this was an
advantage and in some way encouraged slight differences in thickness,
although this seems a wilder conjecture. eiger

>I am sure those old church windows were assembled horzontally on the ground
>and raised into the church window as a unit. There is no reason to assemble
>the window with the thicker edges pointing in what was to be the down
>direction.

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Departments of Biology and the WWAMI Medical Education Program
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460

Voice: (406) 994-5672
E-mail: eiger@montana.edu