Re: pinhole fog in the bay

From: Heidi Black (blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 12:32:25 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:32:25 -0800
From: Heidi Black <blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole fog in the bay

Well, if nobody else is going to answer I guess I'll take a stab at it.
Our fog is a great opportunity to look at world systems! The prevaling
current off the coast comes down from Alaska. Cold water-usally about
56F all year. During the summer months we have evaporation during the
day, then as the temperature drops during the night-influenced by the
cool water-the moisture in the air condenses. This condensation is
aided by particles in the air-smog and salt from the ocean waves. If
the temperature gets really high in the central valley-which it often
does-as the warm air expands the dense cool air from the coast moves
in-and the fog stays all day.
You can create some fog in a jar. Place a little water in the bottom of
a jar. Light a match, blow it out-while it is still smoking throw it
into the jar. Seal the opening of the jar with a rubber glove. Put your
hand in the glove and pull it in and out. The change in pressure will
cause fog to form. Use a big mayonaisse or pickle jar.

Good luck,
Heidi Black
blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org