Re: pinhole Re: polar vs nonpolar molecules

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 23:21:36 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 01:21:36 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Re: polar vs nonpolar molecules

Marc,

I think that much of what you say is roughly correct, but incorrect. In a
nonpolar molecule we can have true inductive forces, not ones created by
reorienting molecules out of a random arrangement. The electrons can be
pulled slightly by a static charge close by which would lead to an
inductive effect. This is close to the rationale for Van der Waals Forces,
or hydrophobic bonds, or London Dispersion Forces which create the tiny but
perceptible forces between strings of hydrocarbons; it is a function of the
orchestration of electron clouds, small but there. Thus comparing the
macroscopic diversion of water flows versus nonpolar flows one would
conclude that this phenomenon does not occur in nonpolar molecules, but I
bet it is there. Eiger