Re: pinhole Mesons

From: bliss (swise@lwhs.org)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 17:35:50 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 17:35:50 -0800
From: swise@lwhs.org (bliss)
Subject: Re: pinhole Mesons

Thanks Sidney, for your answer! I wonder then, how scientists know how fast
the energy of a mu meson should decay away. It seems that objects with
similar masses (aka energies) but different atomic configurations
(radioactive vs. nonradioactive) would have different lifetimes. Does
anyone know more about this?

Thanks -- Sarah (speaking for my student William)

>Responding to Sarah's question as to how we can tell that relativity
>prolongs the life of mesons when we never see them traveling at less than
>close to the speed of light, I think that physicists can calculate the life
>of mesons at rest through the amount of energy they contain. When the
>lifetime measured by detectors is different from that calculated, they can
>be compared. The difference is that predicted by relativity theory.

>pinhole' (without the quotes) in the SUBJECT of the email.

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Sarah Wise

Lick-Wilmerding H.S.
755 Ocean Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94112
swise@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us

"Not everything that can be counted counts,
and not everything that counts can be counted."
--Albert Einstein