Re: pinhole Mesons

From: bliss (swise@lwhs.org)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 17:43:10 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 17:43:10 -0800
From: swise@lwhs.org (bliss)
Subject: Re: pinhole Mesons

Thanks for your answer Paul! The site looks excellent and I will direct
William there.

Would it also be possible to predict the lifetime of a muon based on its
energy and its decay properties, as Sidney suggests? This might be a good
independent check of the Caltech method. Sarah

>Resonding to Sarah's Meson question
>
>The following site describes the Caltech physics laboratory where students
>measure the life of a meson.
>
>The mesons are created by cosmic rays are captured in a plastic block where
>they come to rest with a flash of light to say that they have arrived and
>are at rest. The students measure the time until the second flash of light
>that accompanies the muon's decay. So the muon's lifetime is measured for
>muons at rest. (For a particle with a half life it doesn't matter how long
>they have lived before you start measuring, no matter how long they have
>lived already, if they are alive when you start timing you will measure the
>correct half life.
>
>Moving mesons have a much longer half-life due to relativistic time dilation.
>
>http://tweedledee.wonderland.caltech.edu/~derose/labs/exp15.html
>
>Paul D
>
>Paul "But it is more complicated than that!" Doherty,
>Senior Staff Scientist, The Exploratorium.
>pauld@exploratorium.edu, www.exo.net/~pauld

>pinhole' (without the quotes) in the SUBJECT of the email.

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Sarah Wise

Lick-Wilmerding H.S.
755 Ocean Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94112
swise@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us

"Not everything that can be counted counts,
and not everything that counts can be counted."
--Albert Einstein