Re: pinhole color

From: Heidi Black (blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 22:28:00 PST

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 22:28:00 -0800
From: Heidi Black <blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole color

Amy,
I made copies of the plates in the book Seeing the Light, as color
blindness books are tough to come across for less than $200.

We also have rods in our eyes which see light and dark. Since you can
get gray on a computer/tv screen, you can acheive it through the correct
mixtures of red, blue, and green light, however as the amount of light
dims, everything becomes shades of gray, as the cones need greater
amounts of energy to be stimulated than the rods.

Neon colors change UV into visible light, thus the glowing effect.
There is extra energy there!

Yesterday I heard they are now putting a coating on glasses to help the
colorblind distinguish more colors. Who knows what they are doing? Would
this be a dichroic filter? Just a thin film to block the color the
person doesn't respond to to make another shade of gray? It is very
expensive- $700-too much for me to spend just to help my son match his
clothes in the morning!

Heidi Strahm Black
blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org