Re: Solar Year?

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 10:20:11 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:20:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: Solar Year?

CGDonahoe of aol.com asked:

>if the existing theorey is that the galaxy is ever expanding, how can 200
>million years hold true in calculating the speed of the solar system's
>travel..........etc.??

The present theory of the day is that the UNIVERSE of galaxies is expanding.

Who knows what the galaxies themselves are doing as far as expanding or
contracting is concerned? It was only 75 years ago that we became aware of
the fact that they even existed. At the rate at which the stars in a given
galaxy move with respect to one another, I believe that a little more time
will be needed before we can answer this question. Right now, the
assumption seems to be that they are doing neither.

Anyone have more current information on this issue?

ron