Looking for a grant

From: Monya Baker (monyab@eastside.org)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 10:28:25 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:28:25 -0800
From: Monya Baker <monyab@eastside.org>
Subject: Looking for a grant

Hi Pinholers,

My students have wonderful opportunity to incorporate weekly visits to
Jasper Ridge, a biological preserve owned by Stanford over a ten-week
period. The students work in small groups with Stanford undergraduates.
The freshmen study different ecosystems, the seniors develop field research
projects. The juniors will do water monitoring. The experience as a
whole has been very positive, but it certainly hasn't reached its potential
- it's less organized than it sounds.

I need time to turn this collaboration into a piece of cohesive, scaffolded
curriculum, but to get this time I need release time so I can reduce my
teaching load. To get release time, I need money. Does anyone know of a
grant I could apply for in the $5000 - $20,000 range that could be used to
let me develop this kind of curriculum? My school is technically private,
but we serve a low-income, minority population, and none of the kids pay
tuitio. (thank you Silicon Valley philanthropists)

Also, does anyone know of anybody who's done this kind of curriculum
before? I need ideas and anecdotes too.

Thanks for any advice,
Monya

Monya Baker, Science Teacher