Pole Vaulting

From: TwoMedcine@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 18:19:07 PST

From: TwoMedcine@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:19:07 EST
Subject: Pole Vaulting

It seems logical to me that in the sport of pole vaulting the pole would be
able to store the most energy if, upon impact, it were to bend in a perfectly
circular arc. Now, a pole must be specially constructed in order to bend in
an arc. For example, a piece of PVC pipe will bend in something resembling a
hyperbola. Am I right about energy storage in an arc, and is there a
definitive argument, mathematical or otherwise, that would support that
belief?

Thanks,
Ray Jones, Del Mar High, San Jose.