Re: I told you uwaves were bad for your health!!!

From: Robert Zafran (marklin@redshift.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 06:30:08 PST

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 06:30:08 -0800
Subject: Re:  I told you uwaves were bad for your health!!!
From: "Robert Zafran" <marklin@redshift.com>

received this from a friend, it appears to be valid. Bob Zafran

"
Just received this from a relative, feel it's important enough to fwd to all
of you.

Microwaving Water to Heat it Up
I feel that the following is information that any one who uses
a microwave oven to heat water should be made aware of. About
five days ago my 26-year old son decided to have a cup of instant
coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat
it up (something that he had done numerous times before).

I am not sure how long he set the timer for but he told me he
wanted to bring the water to a boil When the timer shut the oven
off, he removed the cup from the oven As he looked into the cup
he noted that the water was not boiling but instantly the water in the
cup "blew up" into his face.

The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the
water had blown out into his face due to the buildup of energy. His
whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his
face which may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight
in his left eye.
While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated
that this a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never
be heated in a microwave oven If water is heated in this manner,
something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such
as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc.

It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.
Please pass this information on to friends and family.

Explanation:

This is called superheating and is a common phenomenon. The
water is above the boiling point, but there are no nucleation sites
so it doesn't boil. Then, when disturbed, nucleation occurs and it
boils "all at once". No explosion, just boils all at once. If your face
is above it, it'll hurt a lot. Having a tea bag in will provide
nucleation sites and it will boil without superheating.
This is also why a cup of coffee reheated in a microwave, not to
boiling, froths when sugar is added. "