Re: pinhole Hot Water

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 04:17:25 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Hot Water
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:17:25 GMT

Hi Ellen

Great observation.
You have rediscovered the leidenfrost efect.
When the plate is hot enough a layer of water vaporizes next to the plate. The
layer of gas is an insulator and keeps the heat from flowing into and boiling
the rest of the droplet of water. The vapor also acts as a frictionless surface
and allows the drop to skitter around. When the plate cools off, the vapor layer
goes away, the drop contacts the surface and the water boils away.

Paul D