Ron Wong's Musical Scales Footnote

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 01:08:11 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:08:11 EST
Subject: Ron Wong's Musical Scales Footnote

Ron:

Great Footnote....... I loved every part of it. The playing of the violin
does truly broaden out when being played with the true sharps and flats.
Furthermore, the music of the Mideast seems so different to the western ear
because they have so many divisions between "whole" notes that is easy for
the violin to play. Once you get used to all of the different musical scales
in the world, your perception is really altered. After all, there is an
entire scientific study called psychoacoutics which looks at how our ear and
brain work together to give us so many sensations from such a limited
spectrum of vibrations. :^0

BTW - Bach was attempting to get out the "wolves" when he went for the equal
temperament scale. The intervals on the keyboard if tuned to pure ratios or
mean tuning had some gaps that were troublesome and some notes that still
clashed dissonantly to make a howling sound or "wolf." :^[

Al Sefl