Sound waves

From: Adam Singer (adamsinger@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 01:08:24 PST

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 01:08:24 -0800
From: Adam Singer <adamsinger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Sound waves

One of my sharper 8th grade students asked further about why sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum. He had reminded me that I
had described sound waves as a longitudinal (or compression) type wave. He wanted to know why the last layer of atoms don't fly
off into the vacuum and span the gap. If they cannot, what happens to the sound energy? Can anyone clarify this?

-- Adam Singer
    Marina Middle School