Re: Pinhole Digest #362 - 02/26/00

From: David Lauter (dyakov@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 16:17:44 PST

From: "David Lauter" <dyakov@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #362 - 02/26/00
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:17:44 -0800

I think the important property of styrofoam in these experiments is its low
thermal conductivity, basically because styrofoam is mostly air. So one can
assume that styrofoam has a very small change in temperature. By the way, I
used to borrow a hand made thermocouple attached to a microvoltmeter which
could measure temperature of solid surfaces such as a leaf or styrofoam cup.
Two metals (I don't remember which two, but there the same metals as in an
oven's thermocouple) were soldered together so that the connection was only
about 2-4 mm. I don't remember the type of microvoltmeter that was used.
Does anyone out there know how to make this very handy and useful
instrument?
Farmer David