smelly stuff that doesn't smell

From: Gary Alexander Horne (gary.horne@excite.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 14:12:10 PST

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:12:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Gary Alexander Horne <gary.horne@excite.com>
Subject: smelly stuff that doesn't smell

Well, I got hold of the fellow who originally did the demonstration. You
all might like to try it with your kids. It was pretty phenomenal as kids
passed the bottle around, some wretching and others not smelling anything.

Gary - At least one of the chemicals is 5a-androst-16-en-3-one which is a
 steroid and a pig pheromone. 40-50% of adults cannot smell it. I know
  that I can barely detect a celery like odor while some others consider it
   very gross. 2 mg is $26.10 in the Aldrich catalog (product # 28,514-5),
  1-800-558-9160. Now if you have problems obtaining the chemical from
  Aldrich another option is the sex odor aerosol available from NASCO
   Farm&Ranch catalog (product C14246N) for use in artificial insemination
of
    pigs. This aerosol contains the chemical and costs about $11 a can
     (1-800-558-9595). I do not know what other chemicals it contains.
Other
    components could ruin the effect if they have smell to everyone. A
related
    demo involves taste. Flinn Scientific sells paper strips dipped in
   chemicals for taste demonstrations. Apparently not everyone gets a
bitter
  response from PTC or thiourea, and some cannot taste sodium benzoate. The

 also sell untreated test papers as a control. Flinn only delivers to
  schools but they accept personnel credit cards (products AP7989, AP 7891,
    AP7892, AP7990). - Larry

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com