laser jello neat effect

From: Gene Gordon (mrdragon@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 15:13:33 PST

From: "Gene Gordon" <mrdragon@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: laser jello neat effect
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:13:33 -0500

Hello all, I have been doing the Laser Jello snack in my classes. During this, I brought in several types of Jello. While all the colors we used had explainable results, the blueberry had an interesting result. It seems that a large percentage of the red laser light reflected and the rest was absorbed. However, several of my students noticed that a faint blue non-lazing(sp? or real word?) light went through the jello and could cast very good shadows of jello defects and bubbles. When looking at the lasers (meterlogic neon) through the jello, there was a tiny spect of red laser light surrounded by a blue "halo" or circle. We sent this light through a diffraction grating and got very very faint first and second order maxima.

My questions are these:

Are we seeing the blue spectra from neon by doing this?
Have others seen or done this?
Do other colors of jello (grape?) give the other spectral bands?
Are there other things your students have noticed doing this lab?

By the way, Jello Jigglers can be easily removed from petri dishes after two weeks in the fridge! LOL!

Thank you,
Gene Gordon