Re: numb

From: Heidi Black (blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 17:05:52 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:05:52 -0800
From: Heidi Black <blackh@exchange.esuhsd.org>
Subject: Re: numb

David-this is what I tell my students, I'm not sure how much of it is a
stretch, or even a lie...

> 1) What happens to your neurons when a part of your body "falls asleep" ?

Blood is cut off from the nerves, they stop firing. When you change position
blood flow is restored and the nerves all start firing together.

> 2) Why does the numbness take so long to go away?

Don't know-something to do with a build up of neurotransmitters??

> 5) How come you get numb when you're cold?

Probably same thing for a different reason. Your body conserves heat by
closing down capillaries to the extremities.