Re: pinhole Weak Force Interactions

From: Paula Weisman (weisman7@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 07:45:33 PDT

From: "Paula Weisman" <weisman7@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Weak Force Interactions
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:45:33 PDT

Pinholers,
I remember hearing at some Exploratoiun teacher workshop or other that one
could gather iron filings from the beach at San Francisco. Finally,
yesterday I hauled a heavy magnet tool of my father-in-laws down to the
beach, and sure enough, I didn't even have to touch the magnet to the sand.
I put an inside out plastic bag around the magnet to be able to remove the
filings easily, and I just waved it an inch or two over the sand. The
filings were sitting on top of the dry sand dunes, and literally leapt up
onto the magnet, pattering against the plastic bag, and then making spiky
patterns until there were so many of them that they started to repel the
filings left on the sand.
So, here's my question. Where did all the iron at the SF beach come from?
People were asking me as I was gathering the filings, and when I showed them
to friends later, they asked me the same question. There must literally be
tons of iron on that beach. I haven't notice the black iron color on other
beaches. Thanks
Paula Weisman