Biotechnology Education Survey

From: Clinton Huey-Ayer (chueyayer@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 22:00:20 PDT

From: "Clinton Huey-Ayer" <chueyayer@hotmail.com>
Subject: Biotechnology Education Survey
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 05:00:20 GMT

Hello science teachers,
A teaching colleague of mine asked me to pass on this survey to others so
I'm putting it on pinhole.
Clinton Huey-Ayer

Dear fellow science teacher:

Before school begins in earnest, we would like to
introduce ourselves to you and solicit a few minutes
of your time to assist us in achieving our common
goals.

We are a new collaboration between science teachers in
grades 6-12, scientists, colleges and universities
(e.g. CSU Hayward and Stanford University), science
and technology companies (e.g. Genentech and Applied
Biosystems), and non-profit organizations from around
the Bay Area. We are developing an integrated program
for professional and leadership development,
in-classroom and professional support, networking, and
long-term systemic improvement.

As a prelude to submitting grant proposals, we are
soliciting essential survey data from active teachers,
exited teachers, school/district administrators, and
scientists. This is to document, and to more fully
understand, the needs and experiences of science
teaching today. We would greatly appreciate your
assistance in 1) completing a Web-based teacher survey
(10-15 minutes), and 2) passing this request on to
your life science teaching colleagues.

This survey requests teacher thoughts and experiences
regarding the teaching profession, preparation for
teaching, support for laboratory-based teaching, and
what would help keep teachers active in the
profession. It is a 20-question survey that can be
completed and submitted on-line. BABEC, the Bay Area
Biotechnology Education Consortium, is hosting the
survey and will post the results when they are all
compiled.

The Teacher Survey is at:
http://www.babec.org/survey/teacher.html

Please take a few minutes to visit the site and to
complete the survey. Thank you very much for your
help.

Paul M. Hynds
Survey Coordinator
The Biology, Technology, and Education Collaborative

If you have questions or comments, you may reach me
at:
(650) 812-2743 or pmhynds@yahoo.com.