Sliderules

From: Robert Zafran (marklin@redshift.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 06:48:22 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 06:48:22 -0700
Subject: Sliderules
From: Robert Zafran <marklin@redshift.com>

From: "Lou Morton" <stf-lmorton@vom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:53:12 -0700

Lou, You ARE NOT out of your mind. I did exactly the same thing in Alg
2/Trig in two different schools. Most of the kids loved it. I have a
Classroom Model by Pickett (was biggest manufacturer of em) that is 6 ft X
18 inches and can be hung above the top of a chalk/white board. You are
welcome to borrow it...

I taught the kids the basic operations each Friday and then I had teams of
two students compete against the class (they used calculators) doing simple,
multiple step problems, prizes, etc. The had FUN and learned....Remember,
you have to know your powers of ten quite readily to make the slide rule
work.

Getting a number of them for kids to use may be difficult. They bring over
$20 each on eBay..... I work now at IBM Research, let me post a notice on
our web page and see if i can get any donations.

Bob Zafran
Teacher Retired
IBM Research Center
rzafran@almaden.ibm.com