Re: pinhole h2o heat capacity

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 12:56:20 PDT

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:56:20 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole h2o heat capacity

You have all gotten me intrigued on the heat capacity question. I found a
great site:

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/

This gives physical constants on many fluids, including heat capacities. I
wanted to know how water compared with other fluids in the gas phase, and
Paul is right, ammonia has a bit higher heat capacity than water as a gas.
That liquid water has twice the heat capacity of gaseous water suggests
that the hydrogen bonding is playing a large role. Interestingly, butane
which can not hydrogen bond, also has a liquid heat capacity about 40%
higher than gaseous butane, although the difference is not quite as great
as that for water. This would argue that it is not so much the hydrogen
bonding, but the liquid structure that adds a much greater ability to store
energy in that fleeting lattice.

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148