Re: Pinhole Digest #486 - 10/13/00

From: David Lauter (dyakov@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 23:16:06 PDT

From: "David Lauter" <dyakov@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #486 - 10/13/00
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:16:06 -0700

I had some good questions today from my ninth graders. We were playing with
slinkies during a beginning lesson on light and suddenly I get these three
questions which immediately made me want to ask for HELP!:
"How is it possible to determine the frequency or the wavelength of light?
(I know you must use Planck's constant, so I suppose a good answer would be
to explain how Planck figured out his constant. )"

"If all light in empty space travels at the same speed what happens when
light falls into a black hole? Doesn't it go faster and faster?"

And finally,
"But the light can't come out of a black hole so it must stop. Does light
stop in a black hole?"

David Lauter
Washington High