drafting

From: Yibi Smith (yibsmith@jps.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 10:44:10 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:44:10 -0700
From: Yibi Smith <yibsmith@jps.net>
Subject: drafting

I recently read Lance Armstrong's book and he said that one job of support
riders on the Tour de France was to ride ahead and draft off of
"significant" break-away riders. The idea of this was that drafting
somehow slows the break-away rider down. I understand how the rider behind
can gain an advantage because of the reduced wind resistance, but I do not
understand how this can be a disadvantage to the lead rider except perhaps
psychologically. Is there any physics to support the idea that drafting
actually takes additional effort from the lead rider? Any insights?
Yibi Smith, Dixon High School