Re: pinhole conservation of momentum vs energy

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 08:33:01 PST

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:33:01 -0700
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole conservation of momentum vs energy

Nathania, I don't have a clue; maybe it is related to why mass has inertia.
This is a very good question, perhaps the best answer for now is that
momentum is conserved, and why is not really important. Someone else will
have a better answer. It is good to point out that findings can be useful
and ultimately we never know why things are the way they are, eg. why there
are just two electrical charges. Maybe momentum is that basic. I got to
go now. Good luck. Steve

>Steve, thanks but the problem is not that she doesn't get conservation
>of energy-that's fine. She has no problem that KE can be transformed
>into heat, sound, PE, etc. The problem is why is MOMENTUM conserved?
>there is only one kind of momentum (the object has to be moving) so if
>some of the KE changes form (ie either mass or velocity decreases) why
>doesn't total momentum decrease as there is no "potential momentum"
>Thanks
>Nathania

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148