Student Questions

From: Jhumki Basu (sjbasu@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 19:08:57 PST

From: "Jhumki Basu" <sjbasu@hotmail.com>
Subject: Student Questions
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:08:57

Here are only some of the questions my students asked this month that I
cannot answer. If you have thoughts on any of these, I would appreciate your
response. Thank you! Jhumki Basu

1. Why do we see only one face of the moon from the earth?

2. Do helium balloons feel gravity? Then why do they float in air? How does
gravity affect objects that are less dense than air?

3. If I push hard on a book resting on a table, does the book break first or
the table? Why do objects break?

4. When my joints pop, is the sound from a liquid turning into a gas?

5. Does water go down a drain in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere
and in another in the Southern Hemisphere? If so, why?

6. Is there an evolutionary advantage to having a dominant eye?

7. How do you measure mass without measuring weight?

8. If I stand on a scale placed at an angle against the wall, why does it
show a different reading than if I place it on the floor and stand on it?
Why does the reading on a scale change if I stand on a corner instead of on
the center?

9. What is the name for units that are not SI or metric (pounds, feet,
ounces, etc,)

10. If I dissolve green food coloring in water uniformly and freeze the
water, the ice cubes are not uniformly green. How come?

11. Why does water expand when you freeze it? I thought the particles in a
solid were closer together than the particles in a liquid!