Re: pinhole Student Questions

From: CGDonahoe3@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 16:26:52 PST

From: CGDonahoe3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:26:52 EST
Subject: Re: pinhole Student Questions

Question 12, I believe, as to why water expands upon freezing?

Water, like marbles, have a fluid motion that is affected by energy and the
polar nature of oxygen and hydrogen.

When water reaches about 4 degrees centigrade, the polar attraction H is
positive and O is negative 2, begins to alighn the molecules from a "free
forming" liquid to a crystalline lattice work.

Hence, liquid water has 26 molecules in a given volume. Ice has only 22
molecules for the same volume.

Density is determined by Mass/Volume = Density.

I teach MOVED, as in the earthquake of 1989!

Hence if the mass (numerator of fraction) decrease and volume (denominator)
remains constant, the density will be less than one. Have your youth try
this on a calculator.

Hence, ice is less dense than water.

Confuse them further, or instruct them further? Put an ice cube in vegetable
oil!!??

Want more? Take a regular Pepsi/Coke and a diet Pepsi/Coke and teach each to
swim by placing them into a fish tank or clear storage container. ....and
why?

Want further ideas on this, I'm a 7th grade math/science teacher, Rooftop,
SFUSD
at cgdonahoe3@aol.com.

What's your level? It would help me respond in a more appropriate fashion.

Thanks for paying attention,

cgd3