measuring mass

From: MC elover (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 13:22:20 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:22:20 -0800 (PST)
From: MC elover <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: measuring mass

hello pinholers

a question was posted about how to measure mass
without weighing something.

we do a fun lab here where we slingshot students down
the hallway on a skateboard. first we choose one
student to be the "standard mass" then find his/her
acceleration. we then find the accelerations of other
students. by comparing their acceleration with the
standard mass person, we can find their relative mass.

we have sunk a couple of eye bolts into the floor in
the hallway and we stretch a long bungee cord around
the hooks and then behind a student sitting on the
skateboard. we pull back . . . . whee!!! using
distance and time we get the acceleration. for the
lightest girls we sometimes get accelerations
approaching 2 g's!!

it's fun and hopefully educational too! don't forget
to use a helmet.
--eric