Bernoulli and Newton both fly.......

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 13:23:09 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:23:09 EST
Subject: Bernoulli and Newton both fly.......

As a pilot I was taught the Bernoulli theory in ground school (before they
let you go up). But, as a Physics teacher, the Newton side has to be taught
also. What is almost never talked about is the "Angle of Attack" of the
wing. Pure Bernoulli lift is for a wing that is flying flat through the air
and that does not happen. The wing is *always* slightly at an up angle so
that the air under the wing hits and is driven downward. Both Bernoulli and
Newton are operating here so I fully agree with Dr. Paul that both should be
taught because as the good Dr. states, "But it is more complicated than that!"

Al Sefl