Re: pinhole sublimation

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 11:47:30 PST

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:47:30 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole sublimation

Aaah, finally an answer that makes conceptual sense to me! According to
your explanation, there should be few nonpolar molecules that can enter
into the liquid phase at room temperature.

For N2 or O2 or He, I'd predict that their triple point on a phase diagram
would be at a lower pressure than for a polar molecules of similar size.
No? Can you explain why all of these 3 do go through a liquid phase rather
than subliming?

-Geoff