Re: pinhole Salting water

From: David Fairman (thefairman@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 16:26:13 PST

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:26:13 -0800 (PST)
From: David Fairman <thefairman@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Salting water

Here's something I've always wondered about. Salt is
supposed to raise the boiling point and lower the
freezing point of water. Well, when I used to do some
ski racing, during slushy spring days they would put
salt on the course to make the snow harder (and it
worked...the areas where they had put the salt were
firm while the areas with no salt were still soft and
slushy). If salt lowers the freezing point of water,
wouldn't this make the snow softer?

-Dave

=====