Re: Pinhole Digest #552 - 01/10/01

From: David Lauter (dyakov@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 18:48:28 PST

From: "David Lauter" <dyakov@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #552 - 01/10/01
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:48:28 -0800

Playing with steel wool:

You can also ignite steel wool with a 9 volt battery.

Another possibility is to put some steel wool into an Ehrlenmeyer flask and
enclose the flask with a balloon. The balloon will get sucked into the
flask. You can measure the oxyen consumed by pouring water into the
inverted balloon. Play with mole ratios by making oxygen limiting or iron
limiting, and remember to wash the steel wool in vinegar and blot dry before
setting up the reactions.
I've had ninth graders do this when the steel wool is in excess. Sure
enough, the balloon occupies about 20% of the flask's volume.
David Lauter,
Washington High, SFUSD

>I need a lab activity like the MgO -- burning magnesium in air. If you
>measure the mass of Mg before and the mass of the product, you can find the
>mole ratio. Does anyone know of another easily accelssible metal that burns
>readily in air? I thought iron did, but I can't seem to make steel wool
burn
>in my lab.
>
>Another idea would be a nice decomposition reaction like the hydrate lab.
Is