Re: Pinhole Digest #553 - 01/11/01

From: Deb Jensen (deb@meer.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 07:53:30 PST

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:53:30 -0700
From: Deb Jensen <deb@meer.net>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #553 - 01/11/01

>I'm looking for advice on what kind of data collection system to purchase.
>We need something to electronically collect data and that we could
>use to download data to Macs. We'd want to be able to detect motion,
>temperature, pH for bio, chem and pysics classes.

We invested in several sets of the PASCO 500 interfaces and a number of
probes for physics, bio, and chem this year at Menlo School. I'm VERY
happy with them. We use them with Mac IBooks, mostly in our physics labs
but the chem and bio teachers will use them more next year, I think. We looked
at both the Vernier and PASCO systems; I prefer the PASCO because I find them
much easier to use and very well-constructed. It's been my experience that
it's hard to go wrong with any kind of PASCO equipment. The Data Studio
software is amazing. I was also very impressed with PASCO's support; they
sent the area rep over for a morning inservice, free of charge, with some
great demos of the equipment.

We use groups of four on the equipment, mostly because that gives us a
managable number (4) of lab groups to oversee/help. Unfortunately that
sometimes leaves one or two kids more as "onlookers"; however, it's a
tradeoff to avoid the
craziness that comes with trying to troubleshoot 8 computers if things go
wrong.

Feel free to call me at school at 650-330-2000 or email me if you have more
questions!