Re: pinhole Radiation through glass

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 10:29:06 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Radiation through glass
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:29:06 GMT

Hello Alejandra

The UV is divided into three regions.
UVA nearest to the blue
UVB
and UVC

UVC is germicidal but does nt propagate through air so on earth we don't have to
worry about it.

UVB is very effective at causing sunburns and sun tans. Window glass blocks
almost all UVB.

UVA does cause tanning and may cause burning but it requires much higher doses
than UVB. Window glass allows through some UVA. So you can tan and burn through
window glass.

Paul D