Re: pinhole curious rainbow

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 15:40:09 PST

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:40:09 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole curious rainbow

Hi Eric

You have just given a perfect description of a circumzenithal arc.
It is made when sunlight refracts through prisms of ice in the air.
The ice prisms are flat and fall with their flat faces parallel to the
earth. The sunlight enters a face toward the sun and exits through the base
thus going through a 90 degree prism.
Dispersion separates out the colors.
It is one of the most colorful apparitions in the sky.

Paul Doherty