curious rainbow

From: MC elover (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 12:32:20 PST

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:32:20 -0800 (PST)
From: MC elover <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: curious rainbow

hello

Yesterday at about 4:00 PM I saw a curious little
rainbow hovering near the sun. I've seen rainbow-like
halos around the sun before, but this was different.
It was a short arc bending AWAY from the sun. If I
remember correctly, the red was closest to the sun and
violet away from the sun. The rainbow was almost
directly overhead with the sun fairly low in the sky.

And while we're at it, I've forgotten exactly what a
sun dog is. Was what I saw a sun dog?

--eric