Re: pinhole Watch an f-14 break the sound barrier

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 06:28:38 PST

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:28:38 EST
Subject: Re: pinhole Watch an f-14 break the sound barrier

Paul-

Haven't been able to see the video yet but have seen a similar phenomenon
with an odd twist. On a very humid day (fog just burning off) a friend
showed me vapor trails forming behind .17 caliber bullets. I gave him the
same explanation about the compression from the shock wave and the resulting
low pressure area behind the bullet. The odd thing was that no other
projectiles were doing this at the time. Others were moving faster, slower,
and at the same velocities. The only consistent difference was the diameter
(his was the only .17 on the line at the time). What gives?

Roy Mayeda
Valley HS, Sacramento