- Learning Studio - week of March 25

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:09:45 PST

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:09:45 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of March 25

Folks:

This weeks news posting is going out early as I will be a guest at the
Santa Clara Convention Center for Fanime, a Japanese animation convention,
from Friday through Sunday.
        http://www.fanime.com/

No online books this week, Stephanie has been kept busy with printed
materials and is presently going through some online items I have sent her.

Equipment:

We do have some news regarding a software installation:

Two of the Macintosh computers in the Learning Studio have had the Japanese
Language Kit installed, one already had the Chinese kits installed. This
allows one to not only view text in these languages but to also type in
them (if you know how to). Any Macintosh using OS 9 includes the language
kits and these can be added with a custom installation of the kit(s) of
choice from the system install disc.

        http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60468

Language Kits on the disc include Arabic and Persian, Cyrillic (Bulgarian,
Russian, Ukrainian), Central European (Polish, Hungarian, Czech), Indic
(Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Nepali), Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, as well
as simplified and traditional Chinese.

The G3 Powerbook has the Japanese and Hebrew Language Kits on it.

Should anyone have a need for a language kit we have not installed on a
Learning Studio Mac please let me know and I will see that it is added.

Printed materials:

Many notable printed items have been added to the collection, as always
there are others that have come in and are not listed here. Of special note
are several books on aspects of the natural history of California.

1. Back in the collection after our copy was lost:
The City, Not Long After / Pat Murphy.
PS 3563. U74838 C5 1989
 - Lots of local and Exploratorium references. Thanks to Pat for donating
these.

2. Plus we have an additional copy of one of Pat's other books:
Nadya : the Wolf Chronicles / Pat Murphy.
PS 3563 .U748 N33 1996

3. Dorothy Hodgkin : a life / Georgina Ferry.
QD 903.6 .H63 F47 2000
 - On the British woman who won a Nobel Prize for her work in chemistry.

4. The Sun in the Church : Cathedrals as Solar Observatories / J.L. Heilbron.
QB 29 .H33 1999
  - The use of astronomy to set the dates for specific religious
observances has been crucial in Christianity. Premodern church buildings
often included solar observational devices as part of their construction,
devices such as meridiana that were later used to study controversial
astronomical theories that were coming into existence. And of course other
uses such as being useful to set watches or train schedules.

5. Life's Matrix : a biography of water / Philip Ball.
GB 661.2 .B35 1999
We are literally surrounded by it before we are born. We are composed
mostly of it. Here is a book on water worth looking at.

6. California insects / by Jerry A. Powell and Charles L. Hogue ; drawings
by Charles L. Hogue.
QL 475 .C3 P68 1979
>From the cute fuzzy ones to blood suckers. Also useful as am identification
guide to your roommates.

7. Weather of the San Francisco Bay region. Drawings by Gene Christman.
QC 984 .C2 G5 1962
This will help you understand why El Cerrito gets foggy before Oakland or
why the Bay may be under high fog and the beach clear.

8. Geologic history of middle California / by Arthur D. Howard.
QE 89 .H68 1979
California has a very large variety of geological formations. This book
includes information about geology from the distant past to the present.
Anyone who has lived in Central California has seen some interesting
geology, Here is a book that explains much of it.

9. Lichens of California / Mason E. Hale, Jr., and Mariette Cole.
QK 587.5 .C2 H35 1988
Lets go from rocks to stuff that grows on them, those little hardy things
that seem to be everywhere if you bother to look for them.

10. Grasses in California / by Beecher Crampton.
QK 495 .G74 C7 1974
>From locals to immigrants this guide helps in the identification of grasses.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum