- Learning Studio - week of April 1

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 09:58:13 PDT

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:58:13 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of April 1

Friday morning, rainly and quiet a good time to get caught up on a few things.

Last weekend was busy for me at Fanime, I think my body is still recovering
from the amount of panels, presentations and interviews I did. Not to
mention walking past the bar when my friends from England were well into
covering a table with empty glasses.

We have also been busy in the Learning Studio, just not with drinking glasses.

On to our new acquisitions:

Printed:

Mail and Internet Surveys: the Tailored Design Method / Don A. Dillman.
HM 538 .D55 2000
Recommended by a staff member, and immediately checked out on arrival. It
is back on the new book shelf, at least until someone else comes in to look
at it.

Equipment:

DVMC-DA2 media converter

We have added a Sony DVMC-DA2 media converter to the collection. With this
you can connect any device that uses S-video, RCA connectors or IEEE
1394-1995 ports (such as Firewire ports on Macs or iLink on Sony products)
to another devices including computers. The DVMC-DA2 also converts between
analog and digital in both directions. The unit even comes with a LANC
(Local Application Control Bus System) port so you can control devices such
as some cameras and VCRs from a computer.

Very handy for working with video and audio.(This item is non-circulating.)

Online resources:

To locate the links for online titles search our catalog.
        http://library.exploratorium.edu/

1. The City of Domes: A Walk with an Architect About the Courts and Palaces
of the Panama Pacific International Exposition by John D. Barry
        A Project Gutenberg text file, alas no illustrations.

2. The Travels and Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen, illust. by
George Cruikshank
        Tales by one of the more imaginative storytellers of his era.

3. Michael Faraday (1791-1867): The Chemical History of A Candle, 1860
        We also have a printed edition of this classic series of lectures.

4. National Atlas of the United States
        Another excellent USGS publication online.

5. Geographic Names Information System
        A searchable database of names, including buildings, try Palace of
Fine Arts for example. Includes latitude and longtitude, maps and often
aerial images.

6. Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (second edition, 1996,
with supporting materials) by Harold Abelson, Gerald J. Sussman, and Julie
Sussman, contrib. by Alan J. Perlis
        Used in introductory courses at MIT. Includes the instructor's
manual and sample assignments.

Macintosh related:

We have added a variety of books related to the Macintosh, including many
that Apple has been putting online, more will be on next weeks list.

7. AppleScript Scripting Additions Guide: English Dialect by Apple Computer
(HTML and PDF at Apple)

8. AppleScript Finder Guide: English Dialect by Apple Computer (HTML and
PDF at Apple)

9. AppleScript Language Guide: English Dialect by Apple Computer (HTML and
PDF at Apple)

10. Danny Goodman's AppleScript Handbook (second edition) by Danny Goodman

11. MacPerl: Power and Ease by Vicki Brown and Chris Nandor, ed. by Rich Morin

12. Inside Macintosh: Devices by Apple Computer (HTML and PDF at Apple)

13. Inside Macintosh: Imaging With QuickDraw by Apple Computer (illustrated
HTML and PDF at Apple)

14. Inside Macintosh: Macintosh Toolbox Essentials by Apple Computer (HTML
and PDF at Apple)

15. Inside Macintosh: More Macintosh Toolbox by Apple Computer (HTML and
PDF at Apple)

16. Inside Macintosh: Memory by Apple Computer (HTML and PDF at Apple)

17. Inside Macintosh: Interapplication Communication by Apple Computer
(HTML and PDF at Apple)

18. Inside Macintosh: Files by Apple Computer (HTML and PDF at Apple)

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum