RE: pinhole Digest #619

From: Kevin J Doyle (k-sub-d@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 10:28:04 PDT

From: "Kevin J Doyle" <k-sub-d@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: pinhole Digest #619
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:28:04 -0700

On Tuesday Valance asked about CD wheels for Newton's law cars. I presented a 3rd law car this summer at the Summer Institute and have a written plan for it for anyone interested. Drop me a line at kdoyle@smuhsd.k12.ca.us and I'll forward it to you. It hasn't been posted because of difficulties early on in getting the teacher developed snack page up and running and lately because of my failure to keep on top of it.

Other than that let me see if Ican address some of the questions Valance asked.
    I use 1/4L standard sink washers (available at Home Depot and the like for about $2 fora pack of ten) and a 5/16" dowel to create a wheel axel system.
    As for attaching the axel to the chassis, I find that if you make a light enough vehicle that simply drilling a 3/8" hole in the chassis and passing the dowel through works well. There are all sorts of other things that can be done with bushings and the like, but for a simple plan one of the soft modeling woods with a hole through it works well. Another cheap bushing if ou're car is fairly light is a drinking straw passed through the hole.

There's a website that I found useful as well. It's called docfizzix.com. There are lots of suggestions for design challenges, tips, clues, etc. They will try and sell you a book, but there's lots there even without the book. I have to admit that I bought the books though and found it worthwhile.

Valance, I hope you find this useful and anyone else as well.

Kevin Doyle
Aragon High School