Re: pinhole Laser Diodes

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 09:36:31 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:36:31 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Laser Diodes

Hi Eric

There is a current regulator circuit between the voltage provided to the
laser diode and the laser diode itself.
This greatly reduces the change in current through the diode when the
voltage is changed.
But the current does still change some and amplifiers are very efficient at
converting the light signal on the solar cell in to electrical signals.

So I predict you will be able to modulate the output by changing the voltage.
We put voltages from 3 volts through 12 volts into the small $6 TI laser
pointers and they worked at all voltages. Above 12 volts they fried.

If you take an electroscope (even a home made one) attach it to a
galvanized steel plate and charge it up negatively (excess electrons) then
expose it to sunlight (UV) it will discharge. Incandescent light will not
discharge it.

Paul D

Paul "But it is more complicated than that!" Doherty,
Senior Staff Scientist, The Exploratorium.
pauld@exploratorium.edu, www.exo.net/~pauld