Seeking 8th Grade Teachers for 2001-2002

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 11:47:03 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:47:03 -0700
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Seeking 8th Grade Teachers for 2001-2002

Hello Pinhole Friends
I know this is a time of year when some teachers decide that they are ready
for a change. The West Oakland Community School, a charter middle school,
has 3 positions open for the 2001-2002 school year. Read on:

Are You An Energetic Educator Ready For A Challenge?
Do You Care About Urban African American Students?
Looking for the Opportunity to Nurture Leadership Qualities in Youth?

WOCS is a charter middle school that opened in September, 1999, with a
group of 50 sixth graders. During the 2000-2001 school year, we are serving
the same group of students as seventh graders, and will continue with them
into the eighth grade for the 2001-2002 school year. We are deeply
committed to serving the West Oakland community, and we have a special
concern for the unique history and experience, strength and needs of
African American children and their families, who comprise the majority of
the community's residents.

Our vision for our students is three-fold. First, they will be healthy and
whole. They will maximize their physical, mental, spiritual and emotional
potential. They will have a strong respect for themselves and others. They
will value a life dedicated to the pursuit of racial and economic justice.
Second, they will acquire the tools for academic and economic success. They
will attain high marks and master complex material as a part of a rigorous
course of study. This will be achieved through small class sizes, a focus
on critical thinking, a strong counseling and advising system, and a
college preparatory curriculum. Third, they will be servant-leaders. They
will dedicate themselves to uplifting society's poorest and most vulnerable
members. They will be people with the skills, knowledge, power, energy and
commitment to bring about change.

For the 2001-2002 school year, we are seeking three eighth grade instructors:
one for language arts/social studies, one for math (algebra), and one for
science.

We seek individuals who:
… have experience in working with/educating middle school-aged children,
African American children, and/or other children of color;
… have expertise in designated subject areas;
… are pedagogically flexible and creative in educating urban youth;
… show resilience in helping to shape the direction for a new school;
… will work tirelessly and collaboratively with other staff;
… will make a multi-year commitment;
… have a California teaching credential OR are willing to pursue a
credential while teaching.

Responsibilities include:
… teaching two classes (25 students in each class) of an eighth grade course;
… planning, developing, and implementing curriculum;
… collaborating closely with other core instructors and staff;
… supporting student learning throughout the school day
… fulfilling other teaching responsibilities (e.g., reading and writing
enrichment course).

WOCS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on an
applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry,
age, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or
veteran status, gender, pregnancy or any other characteristic protected by
applicable State or Federal Law.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Instructors are
expected to report to work starting in August, 2001.

We are seeking candidates now! Submit a letter of interest and resume to
Akiyu Hatano, Co-Director, by fax, regular mail, or e-mail
(akiyuhatano@hotmail.com).
West Oakland Community School
955 - 12th Street, Oakland, California 94607
(510) 465-WOCS (9627) phone
(510) 465-8071 fax