- Learning Studio - week of April 22

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 10:52:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:52:26 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of April 22

Learning Studio report for the week of April 22.

This week we have a magazine article recommendation and another batch of
online resources. The count of online resources continues to grow as we
discover more databases and texts of sufficient quality to link to. At
present our budget cycle is nearing it's end so we are slowing down our
orders of texts until the new fiscal years starts, this means fewer print
resources in the reports.

Magazine Article:

From: Richard Brooks <richardb@exploratorium.edu>

The 31 March issue of New Scientist has an article, "The Bridge of Sways"
[pp. 38-41], about the assessment and reengineering of the Millennium
Bridge across the Thames (which, as you recall, was closed [two days after
it opened] for its extreme swaying. As we're such fans of video of the
Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse, it seems like a natural link for reminding
us about the importance of details...

Online resources:

Note:
The online books listed in these reports are freely available over the
Internet.
No passwords are required.

Almost all the online texts available through the Learning Studio catalog
can be located by doing a title keyword search for 'online resource'.

The current count of online resources is: 133

Some of these documents are in PDF format and require the use of a free reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

1. Anime Companion Supplement
 - The web supplement to my first book. I figured if we have the book in
the collection we may as well link to the supplement.

2. 1999 Mathematics Framework for California Public Schools
 - We also have this in hard copy.

3. California's Abandoned Mines A Report on the Magnitude and Scope of the
Issue in the State
 - Waste runoff, groundwater contamination and other hazards from old mines
in California.

4. California's Wildlife: Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds, and Mammals - Life
History Notes
 - Provides " biological information for each regularly-occurring
amphibian, reptile, mammal and bird in California"

5. CalFlora Database
 - Searchable by common or scientific name. Includes graphics.

6. Report of the UK Task force on Near Earth Objects
 - Big floating things that could hit the Earth are not just the stuff of
Hollywood movies.

7. Netiquette by Virginia Shea
 - Online etiquette has a history going back to the 1960s. Many newer users
of the Internet are often unfamiliar with customs that keep this 'place'
civil and have been established for years.

Two works on potential volcanic hazards in California.

8. Potential Hazards from Future Eruptions in the Vicinity of Mount Shasta
Volcano, Northern California Bulletin 1503.

9. Potential Hazards from Future Volcanic Eruptions in California Bulletin
1847.

We also have added several titles related to aquatic life in California:

10. The Amazing Grunion

11. California Salmonid Stream Habitat Restoration Manual

12. California Abalone

13. Warmwater Game Fishes of California

14. Freshwater Nongame Fishes of California

15. Trout of California

16. Anadromous Fishes of California

17. California Marine Sportfish

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu