Re: pinhole Peanut question

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 11:18:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:18:03 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Peanut question

Ha! I just taught a mini lesson latent heat today. It's the heat
released or absorbed as a substance changes phase. It represents the
breaking or forming of intermolecular attractions -- ie, in H2O it
represents the H bonds between molecules forming or breaking.

I'm attaching a cool article that talks about an interesting
application of latent heat. I used it in my class today to help
students grapple with the weird fact that freezing something
_releases_ heat.

-Geoff